Friday, June 02, 2006

One of my jobs is to redesign JPL's training courses for new managers, starting with how to plan work. I'm applying principles of learning that are embodied in the "Learning How to Learn" course. These are very effective with rocket scientists and engineers, as well as with kids. The first principal is that the student needs to have a reason for studing the material. In other words, courses should be designed to help the student (in this case a new manager in an aerospace organization) do something that is important to them. Another principal is that there needs to be a balance between learning theory and doing something with the information. My course materials are consistently rated as among the most effective available at JPL. If you have any concerns about the effectiveness of your continuing education, I encourage you to do the Learning How to Learn course.

I should add that opinions and recommendations expressed in this web log are my own, and do not represent positions of my employer or any customer of my employer.