Monday, October 02, 2006

More on career success #5: the importance of acknowledgement. One of the really important things that you will do for people who work for you and for other people whom you work with is to provide appropriate acknowledgements.

I had a guy working on a small task for me several years ago. He did a good job. I sent an email to him and to his regular boss, thanking him for doing a good job. Some years later, he showed up at my door, and he indicated that the acknowledgement he got from me was the only acknowledgement that he remembered receiving over all those years. He wanted to know if there was anything else he could do to support any job that I might be doing.

You really motivate people when you acknowledge properly. Relationships at work and at home are much better when acknowledgement is effective.

There is a drill on how to acknowledge someone so that they really feel acknowledged in the Success Through Communication course. I highly recommend this training. For more information on this course, click here. Here is a partial quote: "What skill has the most to do with success in life? It’s your ability to communicate. Not just talk, but really communicate. There are definite aspects to truly skilled communication..."